[Rumori] Academic use of film clips question

Tim Maloney nakedrabbit at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 23 17:04:10 PST 2006

Here's a specific problem I've encountered lately.  I wonder if
anyone here has any knowledge/expertise in the matter.  I had a
lively discussion with a colleague about this and I think I need new
perspectives.

I am a film instructor, so that's where this hypothetical case
begins.  I'm wondering what would happen if I published an academic
work - i.e., a book, which used film stills.  Technically, under U.S.
Copyright Law (and I am in the U.S.) this may be considered Fair
Use.  But I am publishing the book, and a publisher, academic or
otherwise, is profiting from the book.  Is Fair Use still invoked?

I know that many publishers clear those rights for use, but this may
be unnecessary on the part of the publisher, or a good way to get
high quality reproducible materials, by working with the studios in
question.

So let's make it more complicated.  Let's say I want to include with
my book a DVD full of film clips that demonstrate the various topics
I discuss in the book.  If I show these in my class it is considered
Fair Use.  I do not have to pay anyone to exhibit films in this
manner.  What about on a DVD?  That I publish/duplicate/distribute?
I realize that if it can be proven that I overcame copyright
restrictions with certain software (DeCSS, for example) to get these
clips then I am immediately in trouble with the DMCA.  But if I
somehow used legitimate means?  (Which means I can only guess about,
perhaps involving some generation-loss scheme of recording the clips
right out of a DVD player, etc?)  Does Fair Use come into play?  Or
am I a pirate?

We could all guess that an American Media Company of one kind or
another would not LIKE such use, and would characterize it as
piracy.  We can all speculate that they would sue for such uses.  But
what would the likely legal outcome be?  Would I be in the clear,
only subject to the humiliation and finance-depriving processes by
which the Big Media Companies would destroy me?  I won't tell you
what side of this argument I am on, but I am interested in responses
to it.

Naked Rabbit - P.O. Box 36673 - LA - CA - 90036 - http://
www.nakedrabbit.com