[Rumori] Academic use of film clips question (Tim Maloney)

Ken Freedman ken at wfmu.org
Wed Jan 25 10:30:30 PST 2006

One thing to remember about Fair Use is that it is a legal defense,
not a law or a statute that give you permission before the fact. As
such, there is no clear written guideline to go by as to what legally
constitutes Fair Use. There is case law, but that is going
to vary wildly from judge to judge. Claiming Fair Use only occurs when
you have been accused of copyright infringement, and it is a little
like saying "guilty with an explanation" in traffic court. You will be
at the mercy of the presiding judge.

-ken

Ken Freedman			ken at wfmu.org
WFMU				(201) 521-1416 ext 225