[Rumori] devo, erm. version 2.

Anthony Hall anthonyh at epic.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 02:09:50 PST 2006

>or how about how a group *name* and *song catalog* gets used by an
>entirely new group of folks doing a 'nostalgia' type tour.. even though NO
>original (or logical/historical successor) members are in the group, this
>is only possible because the groups name and their entire song catalogs
>are entirely owned by various record companies/management groups.. often
>times the audience doesn't even realize.

That's exactly what I meant - We've had tribute acts, and "mini" acts -
mini-Guns'n'Roses, Mini-Kiss - but this is the first "authorised" tribute
act - sure it won't be the last - look out for New New Kids on the Block,
New New Edition, Gary Nu-Numan (groan - sorry) etc...

Or how about Neil Younger & Rocking Horse? "When I get big, I'm gonna get
me an electric guitar..."

>as far as the whole dev2.0 debacle.. there's a pretty intense discussion
>in some of the hardcore devo fan communities, as far as fans, there are
>some dedicated fans spread worldwide, including in the UK, Italy, etc.
>thing is, Devo hasn't really toured to europe in a while.  they did
>however within the past few years do some large sold-out shows here in the
>colonies.

Although I'm a fan, I find it baffling that D1 are credited with so much
integrity that the launch of D2 is considered selling out. Apart from the
many dodgy soundtracks the Mothersbaughs have been responsible for, there's
their dubious sponsorship of RealMedia (around the time of their reunion
tour, I believe) - They've always struck me as people who will go for
pretty much anything if there's a dollar in it, and consequently have
managed a pretty good career for a band that was once considered so
uncommercial.