[Rumori] Mini Nifty, a new sound collage/audio cut-up act on the scene

Tyler Zahnke programmer651 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 15:54:53 PDT 2017

Hello everybody, my name is Tyler. I am half of the sound collage duo
Mini Nifty, an artistic and sometimes humorous effort founded in 2016.
Outside of sound collage I am influenced by every kind of music that
exists, but within the sound collage scene, I have listened to much
work by Negativland, Wayne Butane, FortyOne, The Evolution Control
Committee, The Bran Flakes, Dirty Potter, People Like Us, John Oswald
(Plunderphonics), Vinyl Boy, The Chopping Channel (does that count, I
already said Negativland) and much more. Now, I am, to a certain
extent, a fan of today's popular songs, and that is actually how I got
introduced to sampling; I loved how, for example, Jason Derulo's
Whatcha Say made use of a piece of Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek, for
example. So in 2014, when browsing the well-known netlabel Comfort
Stand, and I put on one of the albums by FortyOne, I couldn't believe
it; clips were being creatively cut up and remixed! I had already
heard plenty of mash-ups online, especially on YouTube, but upon
hearing of FortyOne and Wayne Butane and listening to old Some
Assembly Required shows hosted by Jon Nelson, I now knew more about
the people who actually identified with the collage scene. I knew
about Negativland from researching Casey Kasem in 2012, and the radio
show that began every weeknight at 9:00 EST, Ground Zero with Clyde
Louis, began with the famous "The loudspeaker spoke up and said..."
clip; at first I wasn't sure if they got it from Negativland, or from
the film that Negativland got it from, but I listened more closely
this year, and they actually used a Negativland song! So at first, I
made a few sound pieces on my own and didn't publish them for several
months, only sending them to Lizzie, the niftiest artist the world has
ever seen; she and I have been working together since 2010. She liked
what she heard, and she wanted to help me with some of the ideas,
including suggesting, even sending, samples. Out of all the sound
collage artists I mentioned, the only one she has heard so far, to my
knowledge, is FortyOne, after I sent her his promotional EP and first
album. So that is how Mini Nifty began. I have been on the Grenache
network on BlogTalk Radio several times for it, and one time she and I
both called in. We have made short pieces, long pieces, and
medium-length pieces; most are medium. Many of our pieces, all the
ones on our AnyAudio page as of this posting, are 100% samples.
Nothing is created just for these tracks; in some of my unreleased
material, there are old clips of my voice, and some of the released
material has clips of Lizzie's voice, but other than that, it's clips
from radio, movies, TV, YouTube videos, podcasts, popular songs, more
obscure songs, underground recordings, and anything else I am able to
obtain. So if you want to hear something that sounds like a clean
Wayne Butane after listening to a few Negativland and Bran Flakes
albums, here is our AnyAudio page.
http://anyaudio.net/page?user=nifty