[Rumori] devo, erm. version 2.

Squier owen_squier at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 11:21:13 PST 2006

It's perhaps relevant to this discussion to mention
that all along Devo considered such mutations of
artistic intent (or whatever) to be part of the game
of participating in the music making game--that
commericalization and simplification were logical
outcomes, hence their creation, in 1987, I belive, of
"The Devo E-Z Listening Disc"---a masterful
muzak-ification of their own songs, some made so
"mellow" that they are virtually unreognizable.
Somewhere they (Motherbaugh) claimed the intent was,
assuming such devolutions to be the ultimate end-point
of musical creation, to somehow expedite the process.

ps: for what it's worth, the first "real" record I
ever owned was Devo's FREEDOM OF CHOICE, which I
received from my mom for x-mas when I was in fifth
grade ("Whip It" was on top 40 radio and I dug it). So
to me, Devo has always been kind of a children's band.
And I certainly approve of such corruptions of youth.
How many Disney-surfing kids are now going to be
turned onto the real deal? Ha ha ha!

See also Mothersbaugh's recent Christmas record (can't
remember the title) with the manic repetition of
"JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE!!!"

(os)